All Students, Parents, and Neighboring High Schools are invited to The Arlington High School Spring College Fair!
This event will be held in the TOZ (Red) Gym on May 19, 2016 from 6:30-8:00 p.m. This year, 125+ colleges from across the country will take part in the AHS College Fair. Many of the college representatives who attend the fair are the same as those who make the admissions decisions for our geographic area. This is a great opportunity to meet the representatives and/or alumni face-to-face, to ask questions about a particular college major, and to inquire about general admissions requirements.
The College Fair is free and open to all students and their parents. Junior year students are strongly encouraged to attend. All neighboring high schools are welcome to invite their students to attend the fair as well. Please note the attached ‘Guide to Making the Most of your College Fair Experience’, which is meant to be used as an aid when speaking with the various college representatives. A comprehensive list of colleges that will be represented at the fair is also attached, although colleges are continuing to register.
Arlington High School College Fair
Henry Toczlyowski Gymnasium
WHAT’S IT ALL ABOUT?
The College Fair program is a FREE opportunity for you and your family to meet with the representatives from colleges and universities throughout the country without actually leaving your home state. There will not be enough time to visit with every college and university at the fair, so we have listed some suggestions on how to use your time most effectively.
BEFORE THE FAIR…
Before the fair, it’s a good idea to do a little preparation.
- Answer the following questions to help you determine what kind of school would best suit you:
- Do you want to attend a two or four year institution? Co-ed or single-gender?
- What size school do you want to attend?
- Which programs of study are you considering?
- How far from home are you willing to travel?
- Do you wish to participate in any specific extracurricular activities or athletics?
- Do you want to attend a school located in an urban, suburban, or rural environment?
- Do you require any special services (i.e., tutoring, note taker, readers, interpreters)?
AT THE FAIR…
- Pick up a bag and fair directory.
- Visit with colleges and universities that meet your criteria.
- Talk with a representative at the Information Table if you have any questions or need help with your college search.
QUESTIONS TO ASK COLLEGE REPRESENTATIVES...
· How can I arrange a campus visit? Are there any special college visitation days?
· What are the application deadlines for admission and financial aid?
· How do you assign faculty advisors to students, especially those who are undecided about their major?
· What percent of students are commuters?
· When must I choose a major?
· What types of extracurricular activities exist on campus?
· How accessible are the professors outside of class?
· How are roommates selected?
· How safe is your school?
· What additional academic services do you offer to students (tutoring, career counseling, study skills workshops)?
· What types of internship/co-op experiences are available?
QUESTIONS TO ASK COLLEGE REPRESENTATIVES REGARDING DISABILITIES AND ACCOMMODATIONS
· Are there specialized programs available?
· Are there special admissions procedures?
· Which standardized tests are required?
· What types of documentation are needed to request accommodations?
· Should testing and/or an IEP be sent with my application?
· What types of accommodations (note-takers, tape recorders in class, etc.) are allowed?
· Are there extra fees for learning disability related services? If so, what is the approximate cost?
Still have questions? Please feel free to speak with your guidance counselor about any college-related questions.
COLLEGES ATTENDING THE COLLEGE FAIR
TOZ (Red) GYM –
Albertus Magnus College
Anna Maria College
Bay Path University
Benjamin Franklin College
Bridgewater State University
College of New Jersey
College of the Atlantic
Columbia College of Chicago
Daniel Webster College
Eastern Connecticut State Univ
Eastern Nazarene College
Elms College (College of Our Lady of The Elms)
Fitchburg State University
Florida Gulf Coast University
Florida State University
Framingham State University
Franklin Pierce University
Green Mountain College
Hobart and Will Smith Colleges
John Casablancas Model & Career Centers
Johnson & Wales
Jonhson State College
Keene State College
Lyndon State College
Mass Bay Community College
Mass College of Liberal Arts
Massachusetts Institute of Tech
Massachusetts Maritme Academy
Middlesex Community College
Mount Holyoke College
Mount Ida College
New England College
New England School of Photography
Pine Manor College
Plymouth State University
Rochester Institute of Technology
Roger Williams University
Sacred Heart University
Salem State University
Salve Regina University
School of Fashion Design
So New Hampshire Univ
St. Anselm College
St. Bonaventure University
St. John's University
St. Joseph's College
St. Michaels College
Universal Technical Institute
University at Albany (SUNY)
University of Alabama
University of Connecticut
University of Delaware
University of Kansas
University of Maine Farmington
University of Mass Amherst
University of Mass Boston
University of Mass Dartmouth
University of Mass Lowell
University of New England
University of New Hampshire
University of Rhode Island
University of South Carolina
University of Southern Maine
University of Tampa
University of Tennessee
University of Vermont
Wake Forest University
Washington University in St. Louis
Wentworth Institute of Tech
Western New England University
Westfield State University
Worcester State University